Rise in cars breaking down after running out of fuel
An increasing number of motorists are breaking down because their vehicle runs out of fuel, according to new research.
The study, commissioned by roadside assistance service LV= Road Rescue found that:
- 827,000 estimated drivers ran out of fuel in 2014 compared with 777,000 in 2013
- Almost a quarter of motorists believed that they could drive 40 miles after the fuel warning light came on
- 536,000 ignored their vehicle’s fuel warning light, while 267,000 said they didn’t notice it was on
- Over half (54%) passed a petrol station when they needed to fill up, in the hope of finding cheaper fuel elsewhere
- 67% of motorists admitted that they never fill their tank up to the top
- 13% of respondents had broken down at any time due to an empty tank
Alex Todd Brand Manager at Its4women commented "To keep your car in good working order, we advise filling up when your car needs fuel, paying attention to any warning lights."
Please share :)